About Brasher Springs

Home About What's New Contact Photo Album Guest Book Photoalbum

Camp Meeting

The History

In 1940, after much praying and consultation of friends, Bro. Henry Screws was invited to bring his big tent and hold services on the spot where the camp was to be built. He was an unusual preacher and the crowds came. Dr. Hamby was a well-known evangelist who did part of the preaching. Bro. Wallace Murphree was singing his best. Dr. John L. Brasher was busy doing anything that needed to be done. It was a great revival. Two of the camp backers were Henry and Charlie Waites. They slept under the tent the next year on benches under the tabernacle. Plans were made quickly to build the tabernacle. Ackerman Brasher, whom Dr. Brasher called “his right-hand man,” was a contractor. He, his men, friends and neighbors pitched in and helped build the tabernacle. Two men who were handy men at the time were Willie Potter and Elbert Wadsworth. So, the second year found a large crowd preaching, singing, praying, shouting - souls were saved, the first one to be sanctified was a native of Clear Creek - Jesse Pope.